Ironically, the recipe called for one whole can of pumpkin, defeating my purpose of using the half can I had. I guess I could have halved it, but I had a feeling I would be using it for more than one meal!
I was right.
My husband and I both loved it and made it two days in a row. See, you can make the dough and refrigerate it for a couple days, which was perfect for me since I only cook for two. It was super-easy and really fun. My hubby and I made it together. :) I love using pumpkin and although the gnocchi was the bulk of the dish--I couldn't get over the wonderful combination of the butter, fresh sage and garlic!
Please enjoy this recipe, originating from Italian Food Forever.
Pumpkin Gnocchi With Sage Butter
From: Italian Food Forever
Be careful not to overwork or overknead the dough; you simply want to incorporate the flour into the pumpkin puree
- 1 (15 oz.) Can Pumpkin Puree (drain excess water)
- Salt & Pepper
- Dash Of Nutmeg
- 2 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Melted Butter (the second time I made this I did half butter/half olive oil)
- 6-7 Finely Chopped Sage Leaves
- 1 Large Clove Garlic, Minced (I used store bought, minced)
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Mix together the flour, pumpkin and seasonings to make a soft dough.
- Add additional flour if the dough is sticky or does not hold together.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts, and on a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a rope about 1 inch in diameter.
- Cut the rope into 1 inch pieces and roll each lightly along the floured surface.
- Continue using up all the dough in this fashion. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet. You can refrigerate the gnocchi until you are ready to cook them.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a slow boil.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and heat.
- Add the garlic and sage.
- Cook the gnocchi in lightly salted boiling water for until the gnocchi rise to the surface and float.
- Remove from the water, mix with the butter sage sauce, and serve topped with the freshly grated cheese.
Cookography & I'm Right About Everything