I've been staring at Dorie's cover cake, the Devil's Food White Out Cake since August when I purchased her Baking cookbook...and today I finally made it!
Here's my thoughts in bullet form.
* I need to buy 8 inch round pans, I used 9 inch. I would have liked the cake taller
* I love my Wilton Leveler!
* I'm new to making the egg white, boiled sugar, 7-minutish frosting
* Not so sure about the Nielsen-Massey Mexican Vanilla I used. I think it makes the frosting taste "extracty."
* Feel like my cake looks like a blob. But it does taste great!
All in all I liked this cake. It's been a long time since I've made a layered cake, probably about a year or so. I forgot how much more time it takes and the fun behind frosting each layer. I guess I've just been used to the ease of cupcakes. I also loved all the chocolate and chocolate chunks in this recipe and the fact that you added boiled water into it! The one thing I didn't understand was that you could either use buttermilk or whole milk because I think they produce very different results. I used buttermilk. Anyway, the cake is chilling and I'm stoked to try it!
Check out the recipe on Stephanie's blog Confessions of a City Eater and the rest of the groups results here!
Next week: Caramel Crunch Bars