Monday, June 1, 2009
Desserts in South Dakota!
I spent Memorial Day weekend in South Dakota. That's right peeps, South Dakota. The hub and I fulfilled (what we felt was) an American duty...and visited Mount Rushmore. I did a little foodie research, meaning I recalled an episode of Rachel Ray's "40 dollars a Day" and found some great local eats in Rapid City!
The first was The Corn Exchange. A restaurant that has is French inspired menu with a Midwestern twist. I knew I would love it when I found out their menu features locally raised meats and produce that are sustainably produced. Adam and I loved it! Here's what we ordered.
* Soup of the Night - Creamy Carrot Tarragon
* Three Pan fried, House made Pheasant Dumplings with a Japanese Dipping Sauce
* # 777 Buffalo - Porcini Bolognese; carrots, onion, celery sautéed with ground buffalo, dried porcini mushrooms, red pepper flakes simmered in red wine, fire-roasted tomatoes and tossed with rigatoni pasta and topped with grated Red Cow Parmesan cheese.
* Local Trout with Lemon Butter Sauce and Capers with Roasted Local Vegetables
* Pots de Creme - orange Valhorna chocolate
Dinner was so incredible. I highly recommend this restaurant. It was perfect. Portions, flavors, atmosphere...everything!
Next we headed off to Fjords for ice cream. Rachel Ray loved the Honey Vanilla Sunflower, so naturally we had to try it. The other flavors we tried were: Wild Maple, Dulce de leche and Blackberry. It was great ice cream and the Honey Vanilla Sunflower was really unique. I'd love to replicate it.
We spend way more than $40 that day but it was worth it! I don't have the nice photos of Rushmore on this computer but hope to show you those soon. (along with the rest of my Tahiti pix right? ...oops!)