This was an incredibly simple recipe. The hardest part was waiting for it to bake..around two hours I believe. We ate it as our main course for dinner and devoured all of it, minus some of the pumpkin flesh from our second helpings. Yeah, I just admitted we are pigs. But it was amazing. Recipe below all these tempting pictures.
Serve this for Thanksgiving. It will be the talk of the table!
Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good
by Dorie Greenspan from Around My French Table
- 1 pumpkin, about 3 pounds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound stale bread, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 pound cheese, such as Gruyère, Emmenthal, cheddar, or a combination, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2–4 garlic cloves (to taste), split, germ removed, and coarsely chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained, and chopped (my addition)
- About 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives or sliced scallions (my addition)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (my addition)
- About 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg